Tuesday 13 February 2007

The Noble Character & Habits of Rasulullah SAW 4705


Aishah RA reports:

"It was not the nature of Rasulullah SAW to talk indecently, nor did he engage himself in the use of obscene language. Nor did he shout and talk in the bazaars (which is against dignity). He did not avenge a bad deed with a bad one, but forgave it, and thereafter did not even mention it."


COMMENTARY

Some people are by nature indecent and habituated to telling obscene jokes, some, in order to keep a gathering happy, and indulge in indecent conversations. For this reason, Aishah RA warned the Ummat against both.

Also, there is no harm if one goes into the bazaar (market) to fulfil one's needs, but to go there and shout about is against dignity. One should go in a quiet manner, complete one's needs and return. This also does not mean that by not shouting in the bazaar, he may create noise at other places. The object of this narration is to inform us about people who make noise in the bazaars (while dealing etc.). If one is calm in the bazaars, it will be apparent too that at other places one will be calm as well.

The whole history of Rasulullah SAW is filled with incidents where he did not avenge a bad deed with a bad one. What types of torments and suffering did he not suffer at the hands of the non-believers? What did he not confront in the Battle of Uhud? When the Sahabah RA could not bear these happenings, they requested Rasulullah SAW to curse these non-believers.

Instead Rasulullah SAW made this du'a:

"O Allah, grant my nation hidayah, for they know not."

Zayd bin Sa'nah RA who was a Jew, once began saying:

"There was not a sign of prophethood in Rasulullah SAW which I had not found in him, except for two signs, which I did not have the opportunity to test. The first is that his hilm (gentleness) will overcome his anger. The second is, the more one acts foolishly towards him the more he will tolerate it. I looked for a chance to test these two signs, and kept on coming and going to his gatherings. One day Rasulullah SAW came out of his house. Ali (RA) was with him. Just then a Badwi type of person came and said: "O Rasulullah, my community have accepted Islam, and I had told them that, if they became Muslims, they shall receive abundant sustenance. And now such a time has come where drought has befallen us. I fear that they will leave Islam. If the idea is suitable, it is suggested that you assist them. Rasulullah SAW looked towards a person who may have been Ali (RA). He (Ali RA) replied, "Ya Rasulullah, there is nothing available".

Zayd RA who was of the Jewish faith at that time, was witnessing this incident said: "O Muhammad, if you can do this, a certain amount of dates of a certain person's palm grove be given to me at a fixed time, then I shall pay now in advance and collect the dates at the appointed time."

Rasulullah SAW replied this was possible, but if you do not stipulate the palm grove I can make an agreement. I accepted it, and paid eighty mithqaal of gold. Rasulullah SAW gave the gold to this Badwi and said to him, do not forget to be just, and fulfil their needs with this.

Zayd RA further says, when two or three days were left for the time to collect the dates, Rasulullah (SAW) was sitting near a well while returning from a funeral with the Sahabah RA, among whom were Abu Bakr RA, Umar RA, and Uthman RA. I came and caught the hem of the shirt (jubah) and sheet of Rasulullah SAW and cynically said: "O Muhammad, you do not want to pay my debt. I swear by Allah, that I know all the children of Abdul Muttalib very well. You are very poor payers". Umar (RA) looked at me in anger and said: "O Enemy of Allah! what are you mumbling? I swear by Allah, that if I did not fear (the presence of Rasulullah SAW), I would have severed your head'.

Rasulullah was looking at me very calmly, and said smilingly to Umar RA:

''Umar, This person and I are in need of something more. He should have told me to take care in fulfilling his rights and should have advised in a better manner when putting forward his claim. Go take him and fulfill his rights, and for having scolded him give him in lieu twenty saa' (approximately two mann approx 66.5 kg) dates extra in excess of his right".

Umar (RA) took me and fulfilled my rights and gave me the twenty extra saa".

I asked: "For what are these twenty extra saa?"

Umar (RA) replied: "This is the command of Rasulullah (SAW)".

Zayd RA said: ''Umar do you know me?"

Umar replied: "No".

I said: "I am Zayd bin Sa'nah".

He asked: "The Allaamah (great learned) of the Jews?"

I replied: "I am that very person".

He said: "Being a man of such calibre, why did you behave before Rasulullah (SAW) in such a manner?".

I replied: "Two signs from the signs of prophethood were left, which I was not able to test. The first is the hilm (gentleness) of Rasulullah SAW suspersedes his anger. The second is that, the more one acts foolishly towards him, the more he will tolerate it. Now I have tested these two also, therefore I make you witness to my acceptance of Islam. I give half of my wealth in charity (sadaqah) to the Ummah of Muhammad SAW.

Therefore he returned to the noble presence of Rasulullah SAW and accepted Islam.

Later he took part in many battles and was martyred in the Battle of Tabuk. May Allah be please with him.

No comments: