Tuesday 9 January 2007

The Virtues of Salawat & Salaam



The Meaning of Salawat and Salaam


Allah Ta'ala commands in The Qur'an:

"O People of Imaan send Salawat and Salaam in abundance on him (i.e. Rasulullah SAW)."

As has been informed in the Qur'an, even Allah Ta'ala and his Angels engage in Salawat on Nabi Muhammad SAW.

In Arabic the term Salawat has several meanings e.g. Rahmat (mercy), Du'a (supplication) and Madah (praise). On the other hand, the word Salaam is commonly translated as peace or blessings or salutations.


The Importance of Reciting Salawat

Allah Ta'ala says in the Qur'an:

"O people who have accepted Iman! Recite Salawat on Rasullah (SAW). (Surah Al-Ahzaab)

It has been reported that Rasulullah SAW said:

"Recite Salawat on me in abundance on Fridays, for Salawat is presented to me (on Fridays)." (Abu Dawud, Nasa'i, Ibn Majah and Ibn Hibban)

A hadith narrates Rasululullah SAW as saying:

"Recite Salawat on me in abundance for it is a purifier for you." (Abu Ya'la Musali)

And further Rasulullah SAW is reported to have informed:

"When I am mentioned in the presence of someone, he should recite Salawat on me." (Nasa'i, Tabrani, Abu Ya'la, Ahmad)

A similar hadith narrates as follows:

"Whoever speaks of me should recite Salawat on me." (Abu Ya'la Musali)

And further it has been narrated that Rasulullah SAW said:

"Continue reciting Salawat on me. Your Salawat reaches me from wherever you are." (Nasa'i)


Virtues and Significances of Salawat

It is reported that Rasulullah SAW said:

"Allah bestows ten measures of mercy to the one who recites Salawat on me; ten of his sins are forgiven; he is elevated ten ranks and ten virtuous deeds are written in his Book of Deeds." (Nasa'i and Tabrani)

Imam Mustaghfiri RA narrates that Rasulullah SAW said:

"Whoever recites 100 times Salawat on me daily, 100 of his needs will be fullfilled - 30 worldly needs and 70 pertaining to the Akhirah."

Imam Tabrani RA narrates that Rasulullah SAW said:

"My Shafaa'at (intercession) will be for him who recites daily ten times Salawat on me during the morning and ten times during the evening."

Saiyidina Umar ibn Al-Khattab RA said:

"Dua's remain suspended between the heaven and the earth. It does not proceed upward as long as Salawat on Nabi (SAW) has not been recited."


The Benefits of Salawat on the Day of Qiyamah

Rasulullah SAW has been reported to have said:

"Send Salawat upon me abundantly because in the beginning you will be questioned in the grave about me."

A hadith of Rasulullah SAW has come to us thus:

"Your Salawat will be the cause of light at the Bridge of Siraat (on the Day of Judgement), he should send Salawat on me abundantly."

Rasulullah SAW is also reported to have said:

"Three categories of people will be be under the shadow of the Sublime Throne on the Day of Judgement when there will be no shadow besides it:

(i) The person who removed a misery of a person
(ii) The person who revived one of my Sunnah (way) and
(iii) the person who sent Salawat on me Abundantly."


And further Rasulullah SAW has encouraged us:

"The person who asked blessings on me abundantly, will be the nearest to me on the Day of Judgement."

Rasulullah SAW is reported to have said:

"The person who sent Salawat on me abundantly will be best saved from the distress and calamities on the Day of Judgement."

Kaab Al-Ahbaar RA narrates that Allah Ta'ala said to Musa AS:

"Do you desire protection against thirst on the Day of Qiyamah?"

Musa AS said:

"Yes."

Allah Ta'ala said:

"Recite Salawat abundantly on Muhammad (SAW)."


Salawat Of The Angels

Imam Ahmad RA and Ibn Majah RA narate that Rasulullah SAW said:

"The Angels recite Sawalat for the one who recites Salawat for me."

In other words , the Angels supplicate for Rahmah(mercy) for the one who recites Salawat. As long as a person recites Salawat ,the Angel engage in du;a for Rahmat of that person.

Rasulullah SAW added:

"Now you have a choice of reciting less Salawat or in abundance."

Rasulullah SAW is reported to have said:

"I personally hear the person who recites Salawat on me by my Qabr (grave). The Salawat which is recited on me from a distance is delivered to me (by the Angels)." (Baihaqi)

It is narrated in Shifaa' that Rasulullah SAW said:

"The Salawat recited by a Muslim is delivered to me by an Angel who mentions the name of the person and the words he recited."


Warning For Those Who Refrain From Reciting Salawat

A hadith narrates Rasulullah SAW as saying:

"A gathering devoid of the mention of Allah Ta'ala and Salawat for Rasulullah (SAW) will be the cause of regret on the Day of Judgement even though they will enter Jannah."

Rasulullah is reported to have stated:

"A great miser is he in whose presence I am mentioned and he refrains from reciting Salawat on me." (Tirmidhi, Ibn Hibban, Mustadrak)

Rasulullah is reported to have warned:

"May that person be destroyed who refrains from reciting Salawat on me when I am mentioned in his presence." (Tirmidhi)

And a hadith of Rasulullah SAW prophesises the fate of those who are careless and thus - do not engage in the recitation of Salawat:

"Whoever forgets to recite Salawat on me, has lost the way to Jannah."

No comments: