1. Perform wudhu.
2. Sit facing the Qiblah and not at a place higher than the Qur'an.
3. Place the Qur'an on an elevated place (e.g. desk, pillow, stand).
4. Apply fragrance (attar) before recitation.
5. Recite the Qur'an solely for the pleasure of Allah.
6. Read Salawat upon our Prophet Muhammad SAW.
7. Do not recite the Qur'an with haste.
8. Recite the Qur'an with undivided attention.
9. Recite the Qur'an in a melodious voice.
10. Recite: "A'udhubillahi minashaytaanir rajeem" and "Bismillahir-rahmanir-rahim" before tilawat.
11. Be constant with your recitation (daily).
12. Complete (khatam) the Qur'an at least twice a year (this is the right of the Qur'an).
13. Ever effort should be made to recite the Qur'an correctly by applying correct tajweed principles and makhraj.